Senate Republicans are sneaking health care repeal into their tax bill – all to give tax breaks to corporate millionaires and billionaires. Despite failing to repeal the Affordable Care Act FOUR times, Republicans are ignoring the American people and trying to repeal it a fifth time — this time under the guise of a tax bill.
This GOP tax bill, also known as “Sneaky Repeal,” is prioritizing corporate greed while putting the health of millions of Americans at risk. So here’s what you need to know:
- Sneaky Repeal would leave 13 million Americans without health care coverage, and raise premiums by double digits. The GOP tax bill would sabotage the Affordable Care Act – undermining the stability of the market place and hurting millions of Americans’ access to health care. In fact, families would see premium increases of nearly $2,000, and even more in certain states.
- Republicans are repealing health care to fund tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations. Nearly half of the tax breaks would benefit the top 1 percent. Almost all of the tax cuts are for millionaires and billionaires, not working families.
- This tax bill raises health costs for middle-class families. The bill eliminates the medical expense deduction, which helps almost 9 million people with high medical costs, like seniors with long-term care and parents of children with disabilities.
- The bill triggers $25 billion in Medicare cuts. The tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires are coming from $25 billion cuts to health care for our seniors.
- Republicans are ignoring the American people. Congressional Republicans keep trying to pass this unpopular repeal, but the American people keep fighting back. In fact, the GOP health care repeal is the most unpopular legislation in three decades.
This GOP tax bill jeopardizes our health care, putting 13 million Americans at risk of losing coverage. The Senate is voting on this bill – including health care repeal – and we need your help to make sure that it doesn’t pass.
Call your Senators and tell them to oppose the sneaky health care repeal: 202-838-5566.